TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Selin Dual Intake dyno - 30hp/30ft-lb gain on a Stage III+!
People Seeking Info

Subject Selin Dual Intake dyno - 30hp/30ft-lb gain on a Stage III+!

Posted by CaliguyPurdue (Selin Design) on October 06, 2009 at 4:29 PM
  This message has been viewed 8624 times.

Message With the help of Greg at SpecialtyZ, I recently tested Justin Hopp’s Stage III+ Z with the full Selin Design dual intake (Translator + elbow kit). After ironing out some bugs with Justin’s boost settings, we did a pair of runs to establish his baseline output, air fuel ratios, and boost. Justin showed up with a JWT chip, Stillen pop charger, SZ catback, and SZ super split down pipes while still running stock cats and stock intercoolers. My goal for this session was to demonstrate consistent AFR’s with the baseline and to report any significant power gains, although I wasn’t expecting much. Boy was I surprised!

Justin’s car baselined at 296 hp/333 ft-lbs and 300hp/338 ft-lbs. While still strapped to the dyno, we swapped his pop charger for a Selin Dual Intake Elbow Kit and a Selin Dual MAF Translator. After a quick pull to verify proper operation, the car put down 326 hp/365 ft-lbs followed by 329 hp/368 ft-lbs. That’s a gain of 30 hp/30 ft-lbs peak! Notice that the boost and air fuel ratios remain virtually unchanged after the upgrade despite the substantial increase in power across the board.

Selin Dual Intake Dyno

Selin Dual MAF Translator
Selin Dual Intake Elbow Kit
Both products are also now available at SpecialtyZ

As you’d expect, the peak numbers don’t tell the whole story. After exporting the run files to Excel, I averaged both groups then subtracted the baseline to get the power and torque gains versus RPM. The graph below shows a maximum gain of 43 hp and 39 ft-lbs at 5800 rpm. Again this is all on a stage III+ car with stock turbos. Cars with upgraded turbos should see even larger gains.

Selin Dual Intake Gains

A note of caution: cars that have been tuned for a dual intake or at higher power levels should, at a minimum, monitor AFR’s during initial use or go in for a dyno tuning session. While the translator accounts for the true flow very accurately, individual tunes often compensate for errors introduced by dummy MAF irregularities or from maxing out the single intake. Once these errors are no longer present, the compensation for them in the tune may now do you harm. Always upgrade carefully!

www.selindesign.net

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.